Cleanliness: Is it ready?
Bottom of the diapers! How can you help your child get through the pot stage without being rushed or impatient? 11 questions to take stock!
Can we know when a child is physically ready to go to the pot?
To be clean, a child must have passed several physiological and psychological stages. It is necessary that the muscles of the sphincter have acquired a proper tonicity so that it is capable of retaining the substances and releasing them. He must also be able to interpret his body sensations which indicate that he wants to pee or poop. It is also necessary that he should want to grow up, or that he agrees to grow: by leaving his beds, he enters the world of the high.
Are there any signs that they can be ready?
- From the anatomical point of view, the nervous conduction allowing the small child to perceive these sensations and to control his sphincters is finalized between the 9th and the 24th month. Meanwhile, his nervous system is not yet mature enough. It is during the second year that the neurological maturation of the child progresses with high pace.
- You can deduce that he can command the opening and closing of his sphincters when you see him perform a certain number of gestures. For example: getting up easily when falling, going up and down stairs alone, shooting in a balloon in a determined direction, successfully carrying a bucket of water … when a child does this he is physically ready to become clean. It can be 18 months, 22 months or more!
Many children become clean much later, why?
Because neurological maturation is not enough: control of sphincters is not sufficient. The child must also have reached a certain degree of psychological maturation.
How do you know if a child has reached this psychological maturation?
Observing it. If he can offer one of his toys to someone he finds sympathetic, if he likes to play the objects in a container, if he plays games of transfer, if he is proud of his acquisitions and likes to be congratulated, he is psychologically mature. He is then between 18 months and 24 months.
When a child has reached neurological maturation and psychological maturation, is he ready?
- Yes, it is ready, but it does not mean that it is obligatory! It is not so easy for a child to give up diapers and with them baby status! Not easy to say goodbye to the exchange sessions and those moments of tender exchanges with Dad or Mom. Moreover, will they love him as much when he grows up? The little child would like to be sure.
- Another thing is complicated for him: you wait impatiently for him to make poop in the pot and when he offers you this beautiful gift … you take a disgusted air and throw it in the toilet! Finally, the last element that can complicate the transition to cleanliness: this acquisition is a period in the life of the little child, where it begins to show that it exists outside or differently from its parents … which means that any opportunity is good for him to oppose: sleep, the meal … and the pot of course!
Is there a method to teach him the pot?
If the toilet is easily accessible, you can leave the pot inside and offer it regularly during the day. If he refuses, we do not insist, we will suggest to him later. The first time he sits in the pot so that he does not get tired, we can stay close to him, read him a little story. However, no need to leave it there for more than 5 or 10 minutes. Then it is good to leave him alone on his pot, telling him that he can call if he needs help. Learning about cleanliness also means finding out how to be alone with your body.
Is it possible to traumatize a child if we insist?
If he refuses it may be that he has fears, he may be afraid of losing his baby status, being less liked after, it is important to reassure him and valorize him. It is also essential to make him understand that his poo is not a part of him that he loses, as he would lose a hand or a foot. We must explain to him that this is so for everyone. Some parents use an image to account for this: because you can not keep your trash in the house, you can not keep garbage inside your belly.
How to react in the event of an accident?
- The accidents are common on the road to the acquisition of cleanliness all know not to dramatize! Especially if an accident happens, you should not scold your child, or make him feel guilty. On the contrary, you have to encourage him, tell him it does not matter, that it can happen and that he will do better next time. No need to stress him by saying: “In September, it is kindergarten, it will not happen again!”
- It is important to approach the stage of cleanliness with lightness. Some children need to be congratulated after the first pee in the pot, do not hesitate to tell your child that you are proud. Last advice: of course, we avoid blackmail and rewards because going to the toilet or on the pot is something natural and it must remain so!
Is it true that it is easier to learn cleanliness during the summer?
It is simpler to learn cleanliness during the holidays because you are with your child all day. Moreover, summer is a good time because it is hot and so you can leave it in little clothes … If during the summer, the child is ready to become clean, he will quickly understand that to avoid the inconvenience of being wet it is better to ask for the pot. However, if it is not ready, summer or not, it will not change anything!
Moreover, the nocturnal cleanliness?
On average it appears 4 to 6 months later than the day cleansing. One checks the diapers in the morning, and if they are regularly dry, one proposes then to its child to make a test to do without the night. The mattress is first protected in case the first tests are not successful.
Moreover, if it is not fit for the re-entry, can he enter the kindergarten?
Some schools accept children with diapers. That said, even though most kids are clean when entering kindergarten, many of them have small accidents the first few weeks. However, you have to know that an emulation is also created, often, between children at school … a child can, therefore, become clean very quickly and surprise his parents!