how much should a 3 month old eat on breastfeeding and artificial feeding?
Breast milk or artificial mixtures constitute the complete diet of a newborn. For a child to grow healthy and active, he must regularly gain weight and eat properly. We will tell you how much the child should eat in 3 months on different types of food.
Baby is three months old. You think with nostalgia that a year ago all round, you discovered your pregnancy … How things are different now!
Baby is three months old; he wakes up more and more, likes to listen to you and to observe you. He begins to better differentiate the moments to sleep and those to eat. The almost permanent drowsiness of the beginning gives way to periods of real rest, and others of real awakening, especially at the end of the day.
Food at three months
The Breastfeeding usually is well established, with 5 to 6 feedings a day and a night stop 6 to 8 hours. Feedings last between 20 minutes and one hour after babies.
Baby is three months old, and mom will have to go back to work, it is generally at this period that starts breastfeeding weaning and begins the gradual bottle-feeding.
If he is already bottle-fed, he takes 5 of them daily, about 150 grams. The preparation and the type of milk do not change.
Baby’s appetite usually grows, and you only need to worry when he regularly refuses to bottle and if he does not gain weight.
Quantity of milk – 3 months
The third month (from 2 months to 3 months): 5 bottles of 150 ml of water + 5 measures of milk.
We recommend reading the article: Newborn feeding schedule
Your baby’s diet at three months
Your child takes 4/5 feedings or bottles per day. If you return to work and you still breastfeeding, adopt a breast pump. You will be able to entrust your toddler to the nanny or even the nursery. Also, note that the law allows you to take time to draw your milk at your workplace.
At three months, your baby’s digestion is more comfortable. In fact, usually, colics end in the third month. Some digestive disorders may persist. To know where it comes from, it is essential to consult your doctor. However, at the age of 3 months, the regurgitations had to be detected and treated.
Vitamin K intake ends this month. In contrast, vitamin D intake will be essential until 18 months of your child.
How much should a child eat at three months: calculation methods
3-month-old babies growing on human milk tend to eat very often. This is because breast milk is absorbed much faster than the artificial mixture. Breast enough to put the baby in the chest 6-8 times a day with breaks for 3 hours. Children who eat mixes, eat about 5-6 times a day with breaks for 3.5 to 4 hours. With the increase of the child, the frequency of the food intake also changes.
Whether breastfeeding or artificial feeding, many parents worry that their baby will not receive n
Sufficient formation. To understand how much milk or mixture a child must eat at three months per diet, there are several methods of calculation:
- Calculation according to the age of the newborn.This comes from the fact that each child of two months should eat up to 800 ml of milk a day. When a child is younger, 50 ml of milk are subtracted, if it is old – add. Depending on this, you can calculate how much a child should eat per day: 800 ml + 50 (x-2), where x is the age of the child.
- Calculation by weight of the child. At each age, the child must receive different portions of breast milk or a mixture. Calculate the required amount only if you know the following nuances:
- up to 2 months of life, the part must be 1/5 of the body weight of the child;
- from 2 up to 4 months of age – 1/6 of body weight;
- 4 to 6 months – 1/7 of body weight.
- The caloric calculation is convenient for children in artificial feeding. All calculations are based on the baby’s energy needs and the caloric content of the food. To do this, you need to know the caloric content of the breast milk or mixture, the exact weight of the newborn and the energy costs of the child. In infants, they are 115 kcal a day. For example, a child weighing 5000 g, the caloric content of milk or a mixture is 625 Kcal / L, and the daily energy requirements of a baby are 115 * 5 = 575 Kcal. Consider the size of the part 🙁 575 * 1000) / 625 = 920 ml.
But if you consider that all children are different and each has their own needs, the data obtained may not be entirely correct. In this case, it is better to take as a basis a monthly increase in weight.At three months of life, the baby should have about 900 grams compared to the primary body weight, or 225 grams per week. If your baby displays a similar figure in 7 days, everything is in order, and there is nothing to fear.
If the baby is breastfed
How much does the baby need to eat for three months during breastfeeding? After the first few weeks after birth, breastfeeding infants are less likely to feed, and they sleep longer in the night. You can be sure that your baby is getting enough food if you observe the following characteristics in his development:
- he seems calm, content and active;
- regularly gaining weight, usually growing and developing;
- eats 6 to 8 times a day in 150 ml of milk;
- periodically contaminates the layers.
Your child does not have enough milk if he remains uncomfortable even after feeding, full and irritable regularly. In this case, it is best to consult a doctor about the possible suitability or adjustment of the diet for the mother.
You may also be interested in: when can babies eat eggs: The egg in the baby’s diet