Pot: 15 winning tips
Diapers are good, but it is long! You would like your toddler to abandon them and become clean. To put all the chances on his side, follow our 15 practical tips to teach him the pot.
You may also be interested in: How to potty train a boy in 3 days
1. Respect your rhythm
For your toddler to become clean, the connections that allow his central nervous system to control the sphincters must be established. Before that, he urinates without thinking. Its bladder, the organ most distant from the brain, empties when full. Same for stools: the sphincter of the rectum dilates under the pressure of the fecal matter. To teach him the pot, your child must be ready. On average, it is around 28 months that a child is clean during the day. Patience, it is for very soon!
2. Summer, a good season to become clean
If your child is ready to become clean, why not enjoy the beautiful days to teach him the pot? At this time of the year, he can urinate if he feels the urge. So take advantage of the heat to remove her diaper a few hours.
3. How to proceed?
- Offer him the pot, preferably after a meal. Explain that he can go when he feels the need. You can leave it in the room where your child is used to changing diapers: the bathroom, for example. It probably will not work the first time … a child does not become clean in a day! In general, he must have a desire to become clean, that he is curious about this new experience with his body.
- The school tells parents that it is mandatory for their child to be clean, but in reality, the little schoolboy is entitled to accidents, particularly in the beginning. Extreme situations will have to happen if education is to be called into question. If it is not quite clean before the re-entry, what will help it is your confidence, during the holidays for example, but certainly not stress. In consultation, when a pediatrician asks parents to take care of the cleanliness issue, a child becomes clean in three weeks.
4. Like the great
If your child is on vacation with bigger cousins or buddies, imitation can make things better, cleanliness, provided of course that he is ready in his head and body. The emulation that exists between children can encourage yours, but be careful not to create a spirit of competition.
5. No more than 10 minutes in the pot
If your child did not do anything in 10 minutes, there’s no need to insist. Either he does not want to force him to sit there will not change anything. Either he tries to oppose himself by going on without doing anything. In this case, do not go into his game: put away the pot, then repropose it. Perhaps also he discovers the pleasure of holding his saddles, letting them go a little, and then holding them back again? He is in the anal stage.
6. Reassure your toddler!
Doing it in a pot can scare your baby: it is a bit violent to see out so quickly what he considers a part of himself. He does not yet know that his body only keeps what is good for him and that it sorts the waste, like the garbage in the kitchen that is emptied regularly.
7. Dress it in clothes that are easy to remove
Acquiring cleanliness is not a simple step … So help your child become self-sufficient by putting on easy-to-remove clothing. The safety period between the moment your child feels the urge to pee and the arrival to the toilet is sometimes still a little short! There is no need to complicate his task with tight trousers, admittedly fashionable, but not very practical. Little shorts will do the trick.
8. Congratulate him
It is just to encourage her with reassuring words, “That is good, you are a genius, we are proud of you. It is a natural act, of course, but why not offer him a small gift, a sign of his belonging to the clan of the great. “The little mouse rewards children who have lost a tooth, when they have nothing to do with it … Why not do the same for the first pee in the pot. ”
9. Almost a panty
Gentle transition When your child becomes more autonomous, think of learning panties that happen as a great undergarment but remain absorbent protections like small layers. One way to predict small pee strokes without going through the “baby” box.
10. In case of accident, do not scold
You thought that cleanliness was a closed file, but for two days, your child again pee in his panties? Be zen: an accident can happen. To help her, anticipate her needs, and regularly offer her to go potty, especially after meals. This will help him learn to control himself.
11. Promote your fears
Your child wants to admit that “his needs” are not a part of him, but from there to sit on the toilet where a jet of noisy water makes them disappear, surely not! Reassure him … Tell him that the toilet flushes the toilet and kills germs, not catching it when he sits on the reducer or toilet.
12. Moreover, the night?
Your child becomes clean at night later, around 3 years. It’s hard to control your sphincters while sleeping! Your toddler must hear the bladder signal, be awake enough to close his sphincters and have the courage to stand up to the pot! Over the months, his bladder grows and stores more urine. The siesta remains a good training: if its layer is dry several naps away, it is on track!
13. A night light for a serene night
Becoming clean at night, okay, but getting up in the dark to go to the pot, it can scare. So, install it next to your child’s bed. You can also leave a night light that will help you find it easily. And put him in a comfortable, easy to lower pajamas.
14. Properly urinate?
- It is important to teach your child not to push in order not to damage the pelvic floor or to encourage incontinence. Teach your little girl to urinate the knees apart by lowering her panties down, to release the perineum and let the bladder empty completely.
- If you have a small boy, encourage him to shift his penis to urinate and wipe it after urination. It will avoid an irritation of the foreskin and the impression of having to pee. It is important to remember that every three hours the germs and infections develop.
Well pee, it can be learned! : read the article
15. Learning to wipe well
In order to avoid irritation and infections in the young girl, the good gesture to wipe is learned very early: from the front to the back. The tendency spontaneously is to do the reverse, and wiping it in the wrong direction brings the microbes forward and can cause urinary infections.
You may also be interested in: Potty training tips for girls