The 18-month visit
Although it is called “18-month visit”, it takes place between 16 and 24 months. This visit to the doctor is ideal to check the growth of your child and to deal with possible problems of sleep and education.
Walk, talk … Your baby is progressing at full speed. This visit, carried out around two years, is an important meeting place for you and your child during a period of great learning. During the consultation, the doctor will, of course, take stock of his health, but also evaluate his psychomotor and psycho-emotional development.
A review of 2 years: to see if your baby is cap ‘or not a cap.’
To evaluate the development of your toddler, the pediatrician or general practitioner uses a series of tests, almost games, but with serious results!
- Is he able to stack cubes? This is often the first test done. Add to it the ones of prehension (put a pearl in a bottle?), Address (can he shoot in a balloon?) And ingenuity (will he recover the pearl at the bottom of the bottle ).
- How does it move? The doctor observes if your child is walking and in what way.
Does he speak? At this age, a child pronounces about ten words, sometimes more. Each person at his own pace! The amount of vocabulary is not directly related to intellectual ability. A restricted language will encourage the physician to look for a hearing deficit and to highlight his style: pointing finger, comprehension of a simple order.
- Does he see well? Is he able to distinguish an airplane in the sky, the cat at the bottom of the garden? It is you who will give this information, valuable to the doctor during this 18-month visit.
- Does it grow well? The doctor will also be interested in your child’s weight and height, growth. To this is added the calculation of the body mass index (BMI). By dividing the weight by the squared size, one gets a good idea of its “corpulence.” The figure obtained is reported on a curve of his health record.
- Know that at 18 months a small boy weighs 11 kg and measures 81 cm. A little girl, she weighs 10.5 kg and measures 79 cm. It is an average, of course!
The 18-month visit, an opportunity to take stock of food
- What does your child eat? How much? Questions you will ask the doctor. It is important for him to know his diet. Do not hesitate to let him know if he is bland in some dishes. The evolution of the BMI will help to identify a possible imbalance in its food.
- Do not worry too much, at this age the appetite and the growth decrease strongly. Your toddler has many more discoveries in mind than his plate!
- This visit will be an opportunity to seek advice regarding fluoride and vitamin D. For the first; your doctor will determine how much is needed depending on the intake already received (fluoridated water, fluoridated table salt). As for the second, the recommended prescription is one bulb every two months during the winter.
Education in Issues
Sleep or education are also mentioned during this visit. The doctor will help you solve the problems.
- Have you troubled to manage your baby’s opposition crisis? He says no to everything? Describe how you go about giving your child some limitations and point out the techniques that “work” or not.
- He sleeps poorly, wakes up often? These disorders are frequent at this age. Observe your baby’s sleep during the night and his / her rhythm during the day (meals, sleep, activities), and give specific instructions to the doctor. If it is normal for a toddler to ask for a kiss, he wishes to keep the door open; it is necessary to adopt an absolute firmness, under penalty of seeing the rituals of bedtime go on eternizing and complicate. The pediatrician is there to help you.
You may also be interested in: 10 Tips to Help Baby Sleep
Update on vaccinations
During this visit, your doctor checks that your baby is up-to-date on his vaccination schedule. He may offer you to do some missing vaccinations. Keep in mind that vaccination is the most efficient weapon against severe diseases.