The benefits of nursery
Two hours is the average time spent on siesta in small sections. What’s the point? Is your young pupil obliged to sleep? What if he is refractory?
Between 2 and three years old, your toddler sleeps on average 12 hours per 24 hours, although the need for sleep varies greatly from one child to another. The nap lasts one to two hours. Without it, your child would have a hard time concentrating and going after a full day of school children.
A dorm, buddies, nap … what an adventure!
At school, your child must move from his rhythm to that of collective life. Not that easy!
- The nap at school is a critical moment: your toddler must accept the absence of the reassuring rituals of the house. Hard to let go in the arms of Morpheus without Mom, Dad, or his maternal assistant. Patience, he will quickly integrate the new landmarks and fall asleep like a dormouse … or almost.
- School is a more neutral space where adults are not part of their emotional world. Everyone has to stand still and rest at the same time! It is not easy, once again, to respect the collective management of time, but as it is enriching.
- The role of the nursery school is to get the child to know the needs of his body better. The nap has a pedagogical dimension: your child understands that the other little ones also sleep, that it is essential to sleep.
It is nice to take a nap at school
- Space is arranged: according to the schools, mattresses are installed in the classroom or a room reserved for the nap of the little ones. The curtains are pulled in such a way as to keep a soft luminosity, a small music or a read history can accompany the falling asleep.
- Unlike the house where he may feel excluded from family life at the time of the siesta, sleeping in a community gives him a place in the group.
Nothing to do, he hates to take a nap!
Your child is disconcerted by all this novelty and does not want to take a nap.
- Reassure him by explaining that he is not obliged to sleep, that he can only lie down to rest his muscles. He also rests his brain, solicited during the activities of the day.
- Think of the blanket. .. Often his bear or rabbit stays at school, or if the mistress agrees, you can bring it every morning. Arrange family schedules according to the school. In general, a rested child sleeps better than a tired and energized child. So sleep it early enough and always at the same time in the evening.
- Keep a regular rhythm on weekends compared to the week and promote good restorative naps.
- Go ahead gradually. Even if the school is not a pay-as-you-go mode, it is best to keep your child still small at home in the afternoon and put it to school at half-time, if you can. It will make a real nap if he needs it. Progressively during the year, in agreement with the teachers, he will be able to integrate the school in the afternoon. This transition takes place in February.
To each his school and his nap
• Find out about how the school works. Some offer a meal in the canteen for the little ones. In case your child stays in the canteen, the nap can take place immediately after the meal, between 12:30 and 13:00, or after a recess.
• It is preferable for your child to lie down right after the food, it is a moment when sleep invades it. Once the sandman has passed, he will have more trouble falling asleep. If there is no canteen service in your school, your child can come back after lunch for the nap or take it home.
• Do not hesitate to ask to see where your toddler will take a nap at school.
You may also be interested in: Happiness can be learned from the cradle