Choosing a camera for kids
Do you want to introduce your child to the photo or simply not have to lend him yours? In both cases, it is not so obvious to find oneself with the multiplication of models for children. To choose the one that best suits your needs follows this guide.
From what age?
It is best to wait at least three years before handing over a device to a child.
From 3 to 6 years old: children need a camera specially adapted to their age, that is to say very resistant, handy and with attractive design offering reduced functions. The photo viewing screen should be wide, and the camera should make noise when triggered.
Between 6 and 12 years old: more careful at this age, children require an intermediate camera, equipped with a self-timer, a small zoom, and an acceptable photo resolution. Your old digital camera or a low-end model should make them happy. If your child is awkward, choose a flat model without a protruding lens. It should, therefore, be able to withstand possible falls.
What particularities should we check before choosing?
Here are the technical features to check before buying a camera for your child:
The child must be able to hold the device alone, without any difficulty, and to trigger it quickly. The weight and handle must be adapted to a two-handed grip for the youngest.
Children live intensely, and their toys sometimes have a hard life. Their camera must at least resist the shocks and falls that it will not fail to undergo … If it is resistant to water and dust, it is even better, even if it is not essential, unless you leave in the South soon.
- The controls must be simple, especially if the device is intended for the youngest, either an on / off button, a shutter button and another button to take the shot.
- It is necessary to check if the device allows making videos or just photographs to prevent the bigger children are disappointed.
- Does the camera have a built-in flash?
- Is it possible to change the color of the pictures, to decorate them on the screen of the camera?
- How does the child view his / her photos? The interest of taking pictures is the ability to look at them and share them, and your child does not escape the rule. Beware, however, that some devices only allow broadcasting on the LCD screen, so it is important to be big. Some models allow pictures to be displayed directly on a wall with the small projector built into the camera.
4. Capacity and connectivity
- Batteries: As far as possible, a battery that recharges on the mains is always better than batteries that can even be recycled.
- How many pictures can the camera contain and what quality will they be? If the child does not need a 10-megapixel resolution, he/she must still have enough to get sharp pictures.
- Are pictures stored on a memory card or internal memory of the camera? Is it possible to export them to a computer or television?
Play the game!
Explain quickly to your child, examples, how he can view his pictures and even, for the older ones, how to connect the camera to a TV or a computer.
The Kidizoom Twist camera: a digital camera for kids!
Children also get their digital camera with the VTech Kidizoom Twist.
It has been specially designed for children from 3 to 8 years old and also serves as a mini entertainment center. Even no need to close the eye to use the viewfinder, the Kidizoom has two holes; one for each eye!
In addition to being able to take pictures and record videos, the camera contains small games, filters to edit images and sound effects to change audio tracks.
It also has a USB jack that allows connection to a computer.
This is the kind of gadget that kids love!
The Kidizoom is colorful, it emits fun sounds and is easy to use. All the qualities you need for a product for children!
A real digital camera
This device not only looks like a real digital camera to deceive children; it is one!
It has a color screen that allows you to see what you are shooting, a built-in flash and a 4X digital zoom. It is also possible to insert an SD card to increase the internal memory of the device.
The Kidizoom Twist has a little peculiarity that will please children: it is possible to rotate the lens towards you and thus make self-portraits.
There are a series of games that are integrated into the camera. Simply create a character by photographing his own face or a friend’s face and the game appears on the screen.
In the camera, there is a small software that allows to modify the photos and to add full of fun effects.
It is also possible to connect the camera to a TV to see the works of the small ones on the screen of the living room.
You may also be interested in: VTECH KIDIZOOM CAMERA REVIEW: BEST CAMERA FOR KIDS