Best camera for kids: The digital age and passion it unleashes affects both adults and their precious offspring. Vtech, a large toy manufacturer, has understood and for several years, it strives to offer new games that are both fun and modern to the delight of our lovely darlings.However, what children prefer above all, is to imitate the lives of their parents. Thus, the Vtech catalog was offered the tablets out of reach of young, smart watches, digital cameras, and ergonomic photos, and now mini cameras.
We recommend reading the article: HOW TO MAKE A HOMEMADE LICE PREVENTION SHAMPOO?
VTech Kidizoom camera review, best camera for kids: Presentation
As you will see when you come across on the shelves of your favorite toy store, the packaging of the camera hides absolutely nothing. Indeed, besides the fact that the vast majority of information and functionality are described.On each of the carton faces, we also discover a large flap held by a scratch, to visualize the beast before buying. Accessories accompanying the expensive camera are well presented and numbered with a caption explaining the usefulness of each utensil.Result: no surprises on returning to the house because knows exactly what you buy.
Once unpacked, the camera is tiny in an adult hand, even a small woman hand ^^ Its size is perfectly designed to fit in the palm of a child.For information, according to the manufacturer, the screen has a diagonal of 1.41 inches but if this does not speak to you, know that it is 2,6cm wide and 2,7cm high. Compared with the Kidizoom Smartwatch, the same manufacturer, the screens are identical, except that one of the watch’s touch but not to the camera. This Kidizoom is square and black pudding rubber comes the circle to protect it from bumps and drops. However, nothing will save the screen if it were to be an accident. The front of the unit has a small target at its center, and the back has the screen surrounded by several buttons to navigate the features. Two additional buttons on which icons you immediately spot “camera” and “camera,” are placed on top to be perfectly accessible. Finally, well hidden under rubber covers include the important USB port to recharge the camera and its connection to a computer, and the location to introduce a memory card.
To quickly review the accessories supplied with the camera, before describing in more detail in the next section, we find a watertight transparent Plexiglas, one of the same material support, grip handlebar system, a self-adhesive fixing, wrist strap, USB cable and manual in French. However, we deplore the lack of a small cover to slide the ActionCam to the treasure store and take it anywhere.
Additional information: manufacturer’s website
VTech Kidizoom camera review, best camera for kids: Details of accessories
• The wrist strap: No need to be spread over this tiny thong if only to clarify that the little camera has two metal eyelets to fix this great belt or another lanyard to wear around the neck, for example. Also, we will see a bit further than the waterproof case also includes two plastic grommets for hanging the camera during the water games.
• The waterproof case: This is the most successful accessory of all those gathered in the package. Thanks to him, the ActionCam looks suspiciously like a GoPro camera. A lever system to open this entirely transparent shell to slide the little camera. Secure joints are open and sensitive parts such as buttons or microphone. The whole remains quite ergonomic and does not affect the lightness of the product. The material was used. Namely, plexiglass not only provides visibility and access to all the features but also shares its robustness by protecting the device against bumps, drops, and scratches. Result: this box thus offers double protection against water and small accidents. In the hands of a child, it may be wise to keep the camera in that shell, at least during the exits.
For testing purposes, but also out of curiosity, I wanted to try the experiment of its water resistance. Few, however, willing to risk it with the camera to this first bath, I inserted a piece of paper towel in the box before immersing a real time in a tank of water. Test passed since the improvised cloth came out dry. Well, I must admit I was quite surprised to the extent that I suspected that water could seep through the holes of the microphone or at the on-button. Take still guard because awkwardly housing could succeed in the crack and thus compromise its seal.
• The support: the same material as the waterproof case, it has no vocation to protect the camera but merely serves to keep a fixation, adhesive or the one studied for the handlebar. Just drag the small device by clipping strapping plexi around the lens. The camera is perfectly maintained.
• The handlebar mounting : Two screws are used to securely attach the device to any handlebar (bike, scooter, tricycle …), the third then used to guide the media or the waterproof housing that we just fix it. A rubber band secures the clip to prevent the camera from sliding along the handlebar, but be careful not to lose that piece of plastic because it is not glued. This device is very simple to use but the only unfortunate point would be that at the time of assembly/disassembly, all parts from separating from one another, at the risk of disappearing a piece if we are not careful. For use only in the presence of an adult, therefore, but a caring adult ^^
• The adhesive fixing: It is in two distinct parts: a small black plate on which is pasted a double scotch tape front and an adjustable bracket to which the camera is fixed to the waterproof case or plexiglass support. The idea is to attach the adhesive on a clean, flat surface such as a skateboard, the hood of a car … for power connecting the camera and its support. After all, fantasies are possible, remains to find good ideas. Too bad the manufacturer did not rather propose a slip clamp system (type clamp desk lamp or shelf) to easily grip the board skateboard, bicycle helmet.
Additional information: manufacturer’s website
VTech Kidizoom camera review, best camera for kids: The primary functions
If there is one thing we find consistently in the high-tech products at Vtech is this propensity to bring their services other than those for which one would have expected. Therefore, the ActionCam is a camera, but when you look more closely, it does not only just create videos. Thus, while walking in the internal software of the device, we find the opportunity to take photos (with a timer function and use of fancy filters), a gallery for viewing photos and videos saved in the memory of the device or its SD card, an activity rather fun to create small animations with a series of photos taken (as animated gifs), 3 small games (totally out of context but my activity son loves each time, passing the camera, camera and watch for Vtech mini game consoles for car trips ^^), and finally settings that are usually the part which we prefer to encode access to not see the snooping.
VTech Kidizoom camera review, best camera for kids: Switching on the device
This mini camera is battery operated. For the record, given its small size, it would have been difficult to introduce stick batteries. Therefore, it charges a couple of hours directly to the USB port of your computer using a cable. To do this, remember to actuate the switch tiny hidden beneath the device otherwise the battery will not charge.
At a start, there are the small sounds, a kind of “end-end” product characteristics of the Kidizoom range Vtech. However, rest assured this sound disappears quickly by going for a walk in the camera settings. Each function is accessible via an icon presented in the form of a carousel. From either side of the screen and the arrows to navigate and select the desired activity. Faster, but I develop this point a little further, the two buttons on the top of the ActionCam respectively start mode “camera” or “camera” mode with one touch. Thus, in full cascade bike, no need to delve into the camera functions at the risk of distracted and fall. The menu navigation is relatively straightforward for an adult and a child over 5 years, but for a very young child like mine (3 years), it is better to concentrate initially on the quick access buttons on the above.
The camera has an internal memory of 128MB. This allows shooting a few minutes and take the first shots.However, we quickly left with the memory full and repeated back and forth from the small to transfer its valuable videos on the computer may cause fatigue everyone. Therefore, the acquisition of a memory card will prove indispensable. Moreover, given the necessary space for recording video, only the resolutions 160X120 and 320X240are available when using the internal memory of the device. So to enjoy a better format, i.e., 640X480 which is more demanding regarding storage space, it will be saved on a memory card.
VTech Kidizoom camera review, best camera for kids: Easy operation
As I said a little earlier, navigate menus can be binding if one is pressed for time or attention is already occupied by another activity (like watching bike route, for example). Also, for the very young, the exploration of features can be difficult, especially if no touchscreen. Thus, the two large buttons on the top then become necessary. This allows quick access to start functions “camera” and “camera” without resorting to the menu.
Quick access to the “Photo” mode:
1. A first press of the “camera” button = launch mode “photos.”
2. A second press on the “camera” button = taking Snapshot
Similarly, quick mode to “video”:
1. A first press of the button “camera” mode = Launch “videos.”
2. A second press on the button “camera” = start shooting
3. A third press of the button “camera” = end of shooting
The while playing with only a single button whenever !! It greatly simplifies and speeds things up, do not you think?
VTech Kidizoom camera review, best camera for kids: Verdict
Vtech toys are renowned for being robust design, and this little camera is no exception to this rule. Although it is preferable to limit him or even to avoid any untoward accident, its rubberized sausage preserves dangerous falls and small blunders. Moreover, even if its primary function is to provide a good seal to the camera when immersed in water, the box provided as an accessory can also prove invaluable in protecting the small device against bumps and scratches. However, keep in mind that in cases of abuse, the case is likely to lose its impermeability but personally, I’d much prevent my son to paddle with his camera rather than see it explode on a sidewalk to the first bike ride. Regarding video quality, there is obviously still on something that is not of high definition. Therefore, do not expect to be able to project the exploits of the adventurer on your plasma lounge without little itchy eyes. We must not forget that rest on a range of toys, albeit a very technologically advanced but which still limits. However, to send the mail granny, posting on his Facebook account or viewing on its small tablet, this very light format is more than enough. Note, however, that unlike the Kidizoom shows or Store tablets, the screen of the ActionCam is unfortunately not touched, which may confuse some little budding geeks.
VTech Kidizoom camera review, best camera for kids: Conclusion
(+) Camera terrain to reach younger. A multitude of supplied accessories.
(-) Non-Touch screen and lack of the pocket for the small device.